[cricket-users] Re: [Question about subtree]

From: Alan Lichty (alan_lichty@eli.net)
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 13:24:45 PDT

From: "Alan Lichty" <alan_lichty@eli.net>

Jeff -

I am glad to see this posting. I am just now getting near to my final
version of how to configure Cricket to take over my old MRTG tasks and
this is one point that has been a problem for me.

I want to be able to parallelize the data collection process by
launching a separate collector run for each router in my list from a
script at 2 second intervals. I got around the bug you describe below
by making a script that calls collector directly instead of using
collect-subtree and then having a -base option to switch the config
tree base. This results in being able to collect the interface data
for 35 routers in less than 1 minute (roughly 1400 interfaces).

The downside is that I have to use my own graphing tools, 'cuz
grapher.cgi doesn't like the base= option and gives the following
error:

/usr/local/cricket/public_html/grapher.cgi did not produce a valid
header (name without value: got line "can't use an undefined value as
a symbol reference at /usr/local/cricket/public_html/./lib/rrd/file.pm
line 75.")

I would love to scrap this data collection technique and use the
subtree stuff directly, but need to be able to go farther down the
tree than 1 subdirectory - preferably up to 2 or 3 levels down. This
would allow for something like the following:

                             router chassis router1
                            / /
$HOME/cricket-config/routers - router interfaces - router2
                                                \
                                                 router3

where a new collect-subtree is launched for each router subdirectory.
My tree is more elaborate than the one shown above, but there are
practical limits to ascii art.

I do have some new graphing tools that allow for frame based
navigation through my devices and interfaces, but the version I have
so far is a prototype that is specific to my config tree. You had
mentioned that you had a new version of ConfigTree.pm at the NetA
conference, so I was waiting to see that one before trying to make it
more generic.

I also have tweaked an old version of log2rrd.pl from an early release
of rrdtool to function with the RRDs perl interface to convert old
MRTG logs if anyone is interested. I am keeping track of the steps to
moving an entrenched MRTG site over to Cricket and will submit the
whole pile when I get done.

Alan Lichty
Internetworking Planner
Electric Lightwave, Inc.
(360)816-4167

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Jeff Allen wrote:

> From: Jeff Allen <jra@corp.webtv.net>
>
> jmpark wrote:
> > Is it possible to define subdirectory in file "subtrees"
> > like this
> >
> > subtree normal:
> > device
> > traffic/lan
>
> No, there's a bug (misdesign, actually) in the ConfigTree.pm module
> that keeps this kind of thing from working right. You can specify
> subtrees one subdirectoy donw only at this point.
>
> I am working on a spiffy replacement for the ConfigTree.pm module that
> will make it possible to process any subtree individually. It's not
> done yet. :)
>
> --
> Jeff R. Allen | jra@corp.webtv.net (work)
> WebTV Networks, Inc. | jeff.allen@acm.org (personal)
> Service Operations Toolsmith | http://www.munitions.com/~jra

> With more than 14 million emails exchanged monthly.
> http://www.ONElist.com
> ONElist is truly helping connect the world!

ONElist: bringing the world together.
http://www.onelist.com
Join today!