Re: [cricket-users] Defaults file problem

From: Timothy Kennedy (sugarat@thunderhold.sugarat.net)
Date: Thu May 20 1999 - 16:38:40 PDT

From: Timothy Kennedy <sugarat@thunderhold.sugarat.net>

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Jeff Allen wrote:

> From: Jeff Allen <jra@corp.webtv.net>
>
> First, the map() trick only works with the tag named 'inst'. So that's
> why things aren't working for you -- you were expecting it to work for
> any tag. Gotcha! (Sorry, I wasn't trying to getcha...)

Well, that certainly explains it. :)

> The question is, can you use map() to solve your problem?
>
> I think you can. Bascially, the interface table in a Cisco router with
> an interface with frame relay on it looks like this:
>
> 1 Serial0
> 2 Serial0.1
> 3 Serial0.2

Except for the transmission.frame-relay statistics. Because the ifIndex
for Serial0.2 = 3. But the frame stats come under
transmission.frameRelay...frInOctets.1.2, where the first numeral is the
ifIndex of the frmae host interface, and the second is the instance
sub-identifier index doohickey. So I need to find a way to tell it how to
find the host instance and sub-instance and use those to to the work with.

> So, you should be able to set inst to map(interface-name) and set
> interface-name to Serial0.2, and then inst will get set to 3. I know
> you have the right data to be able to put "Serial0.2" into the target
> file, since your example shows you were ready to do that with frhost
> and frinst. In fact, if you really want to keep using frhost and
> frinst, you can do this:
>
> instance-name = "%frhost%.%frinst%"

The problem there is that if I just use %inst%, then I am looking for
transmission.frameRelay...frInOctets.3

> Assuming you are using the default ds-sources, this will result in an
> OID being created that works right.
>
> However, I think I can tell from the OID's you are getting that your
> ds-source looks something like this:
>
> ds-source = snmp://%snmp%/ifInOctets.%frhost%.%frinst%
>
> That would seem to be your problem.

Yes it would. Is there a way to pull a value directly out of the
interfaces file and pass it's value to the Defaults file for use?

It's seems so close, yet so far. :)

Thanks for the help Jeff. By the way, if your looking for suggestions for
the suggestion box ,how about beign able to use map() with other than
inst. :)

-Tim

Tim Kennedy
sugarat@thunderhold.sugarat.net

Disclaimer: since this came from this me, not that ---> me,
it is persona mail, and in no way reflects any opinions or
policies of my employer, whom I won't mention here, just to
keep things clear of them. (new email policy at work)
Usual stuff about confidentiality and whatnot... intended
receivers, blah, blah, etc., etc.

Looking to expand your world?
http://www.onelist.com
ONElist has nearly 150,000 e-mail communities from which to chose!