[cricket-users] Monitoring transaction rates on logfiles

From: Jeff Allen (jra@corp.webtv.net)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 10:06:09 PDT

From: Jeff Allen <jra@corp.webtv.net>

davew@bighorn.dr.lucent.com wrote:
> Once this basic technology is in place it should be straightforward to
> extend it to really analysing more generally useful things like Apache
> access_logs, or any log file where events to be counted can be
> uniquely

This sounds like a very interesting little piece of the whole
monitoring puzzle. We have something proprietary here which delivers
the equivalent of the webserver log in realtime. I wrote a client for
that event delivery service which counts the rate of certain types of
events and puts those rates into files, ready to be fetched by
Cricket. In fact, that exact application is why Cricket has the FILE
data collection method at all.

The tool I wrote is called an "ometer". As it gets called to look at
different things, like web hits or Radius logs, it gets called a
"web-ometer", or "radius-ometer", respectively. :)

Your tool would serve the same purpose, but would do so in a generally
useful way, instead of my proprietary thing. I'd really love to see it
added to the contributed software site, or maybe intergrated into the
Cricket distribution itself, if it would work better that way.

Keep up the good work!

--
Jeff R. Allen              |  jra@corp.webtv.net
WebTV Service Engineering  |  http://www.munitions.com/~jra

------------------------------------------------------------------------ With more than 20 million e-mails exchanged daily... http://www.onelist.com ....ONElist is home to the liveliest discussions on the Internet!