Re: [cricket-users] Upgrading RRD and effects on Cricket

From: Jeff Allen (jra@corp.webtv.net)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 22:57:11 PDT

From: Jeff Allen <jra@corp.webtv.net>

Campbell Simpson wrote:
> I have just upgraded to RRD 1.0.0. My question is how does Cricket
> interact with RRD? How does Cricket know to use the new installation

Cricket simply says:

                use RRDs;

This happens in the first few lines of collector, grapher.cgi and
other tools which talk to RRD. This means that the first RRDs.pm in
your @INC path will be the one used. If you are installing new
versions of RRD over old ones in /usr/local/lib/perl, for instance,
then the right thing should just happen.

At WebTV, so that we can install multiple versions of RRD
concurrently, we install it in to the cricket/lib directory. That
directory is always in @INC when Cricket is running, and if there are
multiple installations of Cricket (test and live, say) then each can
have it's own verison of RRD.

The drawback is that other scripts which want to use RRDs need to edit
their @INC to get it. But we don't have any other scripts, so that's
not an issue for us. YMMV.

--
Jeff R. Allen              |  jra@corp.webtv.net