Re: [cricket-users] Monitoring a Network Appliance

From: Stephen J. Roznowski (sjr@home.net)
Date: Sun Jul 18 1999 - 16:34:26 PDT

From: "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>

On 17 Jul, Matthew Stier wrote:
> I don't think the "spikes" are Tobin's issue. I suspect that Cricket is the
> cause here, compounded by the fact that what Network Appliance has in there
> MIB is not typical units. Most systems report "octets". The NetApp is
> reporting kilobytes of traffic. Since Cricket is assuming octet counts,
> when the counter rolls over, Cricket is trying to compensate by
> "guessing" the counters maximun value, and correct the received value for
> the roll over.
>
> What we need from Jeff, is a method to either set a maximum value for a
> counter, on a target by target base, or a means to scale the incoming values
> on SNMP obtained data, without having to resort to external scripts.

My brief reading of the code, leads me to believe that the counter
rollover is occuring in rrd_update.c (part of rrdtool). I guess that
this could be fixed in cricket, by allowing the value to be scaled (in
this case by 1024) before storage....

-SR

Congratulations MilitaryEFM. Our latest ONElist of the week.
http://www.onelist.com
How is ONElist changing YOUR life? Visit our homepage and let us know!