Re: [cricket-users] Again: Cascade Interfaces

From: Alan Lichty (alan_lichty@eli.net)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 08:52:02 PDT

From: "Alan Lichty" <alan_lichty@eli.net>

Jan -

Are you trying to monitor the ATM port of a router or an ATM switch?
If this is for a router, then the Ascend OID's won't work. The
listinterfaces script in Cricket will properly do the physical port
for an ATM interface by simply using the defaults for router ports.

ATM PVCs will not work this way and present a whole new can of worms.
Most versions of ATM PVC monitoring scripts for Cisco routers use a
telnet session to get the numbers and Cricket doesn't handle this type
of scripting very well - its a *LOT* of overhead. I finally resorted
to a custom script that updates using RRD directly for these
interfaces.

Alan Lichty
Internetworking Planner
Electric Lightwave, Inc.
(360)816-4167

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Jan Ahrent Czmok wrote:

> From: Jan Ahrent Czmok <j.czmok@gigabell.net>
>
> After figuring out the stuff (with help from Alan) within
> atm-interfaces, i run into the problem of monitoring
> Lports ...
>
> Under mrtg i simply use the ifnum:community@router stuff
> but under cricket, i try to get it to work, but failed.
>
> The listinterfaces tool does not work as the name mappings
> are not correct in the mib:
>
> target --default--
> router = 195.211.224.1
>
> Received SNMP response with error code noSuchNameReceived SNMP
> response with error code noSuchNametarget Ascend_FE1_12_3_1_1
> interface-name = Ascend/FE1_12/3/1/1
>

> So... how can i just use the interface number to get data ?
>
> HELP!
>
> Nevertheless, cricket/rrd together *SEEM* to be better than mrtg, even
> more for the advanced user.
>
> Jan
>

> --
> Jan Czmok Gigabell AG
> Senior Network Engineer Mainzer Landstr. 46
> Member of IPv6-Forum 60325 Frankfurt
> Phone: +49 69 17084-716 Fax: +49 69 17084-701

> The Best Place to Buy Movies - Reel.com

ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
http://www.onelist.com
See homepage for details, including our weekly drawing!