[cricket-users] Graphing peak (MAX) values like MRTG does

From: Dave Caplinger (dcaplinger@orent.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 1999 - 15:40:22 PDT

It appears that Cricket is set up by default (i.e. in the sample-config)
to collect maximal values during data reduction for 50-day and 600-day
graphs (i.e. "monthly" and "yearly"), because I see them in the root
level Defaults file: (they're the ones that say "MAX" instead of
"AVERAGE")

# one point per 5 minutes, spanning 50 hours
rra 5minAve AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
# one point per 30 minutes, spanning 12 days
rra 30minAve AVERAGE:0.5:6:600
# one point every 2 hours, spanning 50 days
rra 2hrAve AVERAGE:0.5:24:600
rra 2hrMax MAX:0.5:24:600
# one point every day, spanning 600 days
rra 1dayAve AVERAGE:0.5:288:600
rra 1dayMax MAX:0.5:288:600

But what I don't follow is how can I get cricket to put this data on a
graph? I don't understand how graphing is tied back to RRAs that have
been stored for the item being graphed. Graphs for router-interfaces
(for example, since that's what's most like MRTG) are defined like:

graph ifInUcastPackets
    color = dark-green
    draw-as = AREA
    y-axis = "packets per second"
    units = "pkt/sec"
    legend = "Average num Packets In"

But I don't see how this correlates back to the RRAs like 5minAve,
30minAve, 2hrAve, 1dayAve (which is what Cricket is plotting now). In
fact, I can't see how those 'rra' lines in the root Defaults file are
used anywhere at all. It seems to me that if I can figure this part
out, I should be able to make a graph that plots data from the 2hrMax
RRA instead of (or in addition to) the 2hrAve RRA and I'd be able to get
the same functionality that I had in MRTG.

Am I missing something obvious? Every indication I've seen is that
Cricket is supposed to do this (why put the MAX data into those RRAs
otherwise?) but the few times I've seen this question come up on the
mailing list archives, it's never been answered as far as I could tell.
I'd rather not have to manually invoke rrdtool to make those graphs if I
don't have to, but if that really is the only way to do it... (FYI, I'm
running Cricket 0.67 and rrdtool 0.99.49.)

- Dave