[cricket-users] RE: How to Get Max Values Graphed

From: Jim D. Kirby (jdkirby@bluebunny.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 12:47:34 PDT

From: "Jim D. Kirby" <jdkirby@bluebunny.com>

Ok, now I've played with this little switch and it *does* do at least one
thing I like, although I think it may be a bug.

On Octet graphs "Avg bits in" and the new "Max Avg Bits In" are drawn
different colors which is great. The "Mac Avg Bits In" and "Average Bits
Out" are the same color and the Max Averages don't seem very accurate, at
least for octet calculations, but I can live with that for now.

But, using an OID I found on the cisco list, I am graphing modem utilization
on my AS5200. All I really wante was a graph showing the number of modems
in use at the polling interval. Well, Cricket/RRD have a penchang for
averages so the actual numbers were a little off, and the more time
encompassed in the graph, the fewer modems appeared to be used. Well, turn
on the Max Avg switch and behold: all modem usage graphs instantly become
Max Used graphs. (in fact, my weekly graph went from numbers well below 10
to numbers around 17 and 18, a significant difference on a 24 modem
chassis). However, this is the possible bug part: The grapher doesn't use
different color for average modems used and Max Average modems used. They
are both drawn as Green AREA graphs and hence indistinguishable. Of course,
the bug produces exactly the graph I was hoping for in the first place and
is now my sole reason for having Max Averages turned on.

There's got to be a better way, however. Can anyone tell me how I can graph
exactly (not averages) the number of modems used, and have it appear as
absolute numbers and not averages on the long-term graphs?

Possible?
jk

Congratulations GENEVINCENT. Our latest ONElist of the week.
For full story and to submit yours, go to