Re: [cricket-users] Yearly graph

From: Kennedy Clark (kclark@ccci.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 1999 - 04:47:54 PDT

From: Kennedy Clark <kclark@ccci.com>

Everyone,

Is there a way to have Cricket show you the peak values in addition
to the average values similar to the "WithPeak" option in MRTG?
This is really nice because it allow you to see the more-and-more
averaged values while also viewing the peak 5-minutes intervals.

Thanks,
Kennedy

At 11:56 PM 10/5/99 -0500, Shannon Reis wrote:
>From: Shannon Reis <sreis@fastlane.net>
>
>You can also think about it this way:
>
>It takes you exactly 60 minutes to travel 35 miles to work (an
average speed of
>35 miles/hour). RRD would graph this the hour average as 35
miles/hour for the
>hour period (on a daily graph). However, during your drive, you
approach the
>speed of 80 miles/hour (don't let the cops catch you), and it just
so happens
>that RRD polled you when you got to the 80mph speed. So, the MAX
for that period
>would be 80 Miles/hour. Over time, RRD would still save the MAX
of 80 Miles/hour
>for the day...but it would average out the 35mph to 1.5mph
(assuming you didn't
>travel at all for the rest of the day).
>
>Basically, what you can extrapolate from this is:
>Averages will tell you how much of the available bandwidth was
utilized during
>the period of time.
>Maxes will tell you the maximum amount of available bandwidth was
utilized at any
>one time during a period of time.
>
>Use averages in relation to MAX's.
>
>For network utilization, it is very helpful to see that your pipe
does max out
>during peak times during the day, but that over time it utilizes
about, say 30%
>of the pipe. For network utilization, it is quite common for you
to get a MAX
>that approaches the bandwidth (even though its usually a 5 minute
average'd MAX
>-- depending on your polling time). And, and average that is
20-30% of the
>total. Network traffic tends to be bursty (especially on LAN's)
>
>For modem utilization, use averages, but mostly focus on the max's
because if
>your max is at your capacity, you have busy signals! (ie unhappy
customers)

>There are some cases where MIN's could be usable....but I can't
think of them now
>;)
>
>Shannon
>

>"Berg, Ivan" wrote:
>
>> From: "Berg, Ivan" <iberg@montana.edu>
>>

>> Probably because cricket averages the longer time periods.
>> Notice your average for the day is about half what your peak
value is. This
>> average is what you seeing in the long run(you lose specifics in
the long
>> run but gain a better idea of the average picture is)

the day):

>Does Windows keep ""bugging"" you? Can't get that PowerPoint
slide to fit?
>Get FREE real-time live expert support over the Internet at
expertcity.com.
">Click Here</a>

-----

BETA TEST expertcity.com's new online, real-time, technical support service!
   Let our live experts help you with your computer now. IT'S FREE! ! !