[cricket-users] Receiving noSuchName SNMP error from collector, new cricket installation

From: theresa.hilding@gcmail.maricopa.edu
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 10:02:53 PST

From: theresa.hilding@gcmail.maricopa.edu

Hello,

I am installing cricket 0.70 for the first time per the beginner.txt file on a
RedHat 6.0 box. I had no problems installing the perl modules or compiling the
config tree. Running the collector against my cisco router, however, produces
the following SNMP error:

    Received SNMP response with error code noSuchName
    Retrieved data for rsm (): U,U,U,U,U,U
    Some data is missing for rsm ().
    Processed 1 targets in 4 seconds.

I searched and found a previous post with the same problem. The recommended
solution was to edit the field

        domain =""

in the Defaults file in the routers' subtree to include my domain name. The
field "domain" does not exist anywhere in my Defaults file in either the
~/cricket-config/routers or ~/cricket-config directories. I tried adding it
in multiple places to both the Defaults and Target file in my routers subtree
with no luck. So, I modified the name of my router in the target field of the
Targets file to include the domain name. I get the same errors as above but
with the following output:

      Retrieved data for rsm.gc.maricopa.edu (): U,U,U,U,U,U

I next tried to manually retrieve values for the OID's listed in the router
sub-tree Defaults file using snmpget. This works *if* I prepend a '.' to the
OID. For example,

        snmpget rsm topsecret .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.57.0

      works, but

     snmpget rsm topsecret 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.57.0

      returns the following error (same as that returned by the collector):

              Error in packet
                Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
                This name doesn't exist: system.sysUpTime.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.57.0

So, I then tried adding a leading period to the OID's in the router sub-tree
Defaults file but received the same noSuchName error.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am new to both PERL and LINUX and am afraid
I am missing something obvious.

Thanks very much,
Theresa Hilding, Network Manager
Glendale Community College
theresa.hilding@gcmail.maricopa.edu

Independent contractors: Find your next project gig through JobSwarm!
        You can even make $$$ by referring friends.