[cricket-users] Relationship of cricket to rrdtool?

From: Brad Knowles (brad@shub-internet.org)
Date: Mon Aug 16 1999 - 08:59:52 PDT

From: Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>

[ Whoops! Let's try sending this from the correct account. ;-) -BK ]

Folks,

        I've gotten rrdtool installed and I've run through the tutorial.
I've gotten the UCD SNMP daemon installed on one of our machines, and
I'm about ready to start setting up a SNMP monitoring configuration
so as to pull all sorts of statistics from the target machine,
graphing them, etc....

        However, I'm confused as to the relationship between cricket and rrdtool.

        From what I can gather, rrdtool handles the database and the
graphing, but cricket handles what? Maybe cricket is used to manage
the configurations of multiple rrdtool monitored hosts?

        I'm reading the various online documentation for cricket and
rrdtool, and it's obvious that cricket is one "front-end" for rrdtool
(orca is another), but it's not quite exactly clear to me what is
meant by "front-end" in this context.

        I had thought that this meant that rrdtool was responsible for
handling the database and that cricket was responsible for generating
the graphs, but after running through the rrdtool tutorial, that's
obviously not the case.

        Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>
     <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>

Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]

ONElist users: YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com. Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how. For details, go to http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html