[cricket-users] Counter Overflows

From: Doherty, Niall (niall.doherty@netapp.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 11:22:25 PDT

From: "Doherty, Niall" <niall.doherty@netapp.com>

Hi,

I'm attempting to graph a URLs/sec rate.

The MIB on the cache is counting Total URLs served
so far, and it is of type COUNTER.

I've used a rrd-ds-type = COUNTER to retrieve the
variable. RRD is correctly subtracting the current
value from the previous value and dividing by the
interval to give URLs/sec (averaged over the interval).

However, when the counter rolls over to zero, I get
a huge spike in my graph. I can see this coz I retrieve
the same variable twice (using two different datasource
names) but store using different types (COUNTER and
GAUGE). The GAUGE value shows the time that the count
rolls over - and it is the same time that the COUNTER
value gets the spikes.

Any ideas what could be causing this ? The counter is
a simple integer value...

Cheers,
Niall

ATTENTION ONElist MEMBERS: Get your ONElist news!
Join our MEMBER NEWSLETTER here: