Re: [cricket-users] Determining bandwidth usage

From: shanman@shanman.net
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 16:07:36 PDT

From: shanman@shanman.net

By default, cricket create's RRA's for keeping the MAX (peaks) during a
period of time. Using these default RRA's, you can use the new cricket
(0.70) to generate MAX's.

Just set max=1 in a graph dictionary:
graph ifOutOctets
        max = 1

You can also use maxcolor=color to define the color (if you want to
deviate from auto)

ShanMan

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Berg, Ivan wrote:

> From: "Berg, Ivan" <iberg@montana.edu>
>
> Here is the problem:
> Cricket averages the data for the long term resulting in a smoothed out
> picture that does not accurately give you an idea of peak bandwidth usage
> needed to bill or upgrade a network.
>
> This is due to the bursty nature of LAN traffic, for instance, in one case,
> the average for the week is about HALF the size of the peaks in the
> day-quite a loss.
>
> Is there other ways for cricket/rrdtool to generate long term data? I.E
> instead of averaging, simply throw out every so many points - even this
> would preserve peaks better.
>
> Another way would be to increase the data size sets of rrd so it could store
> more data points and not average so much.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions to improve the resolution and have cricket
> preserve the data more??

  Hey Freelancers: Find your next project through JobSwarm!
  You can even make $$$ in your sleep by referring friends.